Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Morning in Rwanda

This is the first thing I see most mornings.  
We sleep with a mosquito net and the veranda door open.

You have read my complaints about all sorts of things, almost all of them having to do with technology or the lack thereof.  However, there is one thing I think I will never get tired of:  Sunrises and sunsets that are so beautiful they break your heart.  Every day.

I am not a morning person, but the light coming into our room each day is so lovely, I allow myself the possibility that getting out of bed might be a cool thing.  If you read Diana's blog about morning at the guest house, you'll know that the cleaning staff start early.  If you think about it, it makes sense.  Most homes of non-professionals, even in Kigali, do not have electricity, so they wake with first light.  (I have three 8 a.m. classes each week, and I rarely have late students.  I never have groggy students.  It's astounding.)

Anyway, the house staff is at it each morning no later than 6:30 a.m., seven days a week, filling buckets, mopping floors and happily chatting at maximum decibel level in a house that defines the word "echo".   They put Snow White to shame.  Their joy of the morning is infectious, and somehow I walk out the door every morning with a smile on my face.  By the end of the day, it's another story, but you've read all that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment